Red Ball is happy to offers various resources that will help you maintain organization and sanity during your move. Here are some moving tips we suggest you consider.
How to Make Your Cross Country Move Easier
The best way to make your move stress free is to stay organized. Red Ball offers various resources to help you maintain organization and sanity during your move. Below are some tips we suggest you consider. You are also welcome to contact one of our relocation specialists at any time to get answers to your questions and additional tips for your move.
- Make a list of everything you need to do including items to purchase, people and businesses to inform about your move, and an inventory of your belongings.
- Submit a change of address request with the US Post office (www.usps.gov).
- Make a list of your bills and other mail you receive frequently to keep track of important accounts while your mail goes through the change of address process.
- If you are packing yourself, purchase plenty of packing supplies in advance, so you are sure you have everything you need once you are ready to begin packing.
- Get at least three estimates before sealing the deal. Doing so will help you get a competitive price and determine which moving company provides the services that best to meet your needs.
- Hire your professional movers at least 6-8 weeks before your scheduled move. This gives you ample time to work through any special needs or requests.
- Begin packing your belongings as soon as possible. Best practices are to start packing about 6-8 weeks before your move. See our moving checklist for additional tips.
- Label your boxes with the room name, contents and whether the items are fragile. This will help your movers know when to take additional care, and it will also simplify the unpacking process.
- Avoid packing household chemicals. Professional movers do not transport household chemicals because they may be hazardous.
- Place a special mark or note on boxes you need to unpack immediately. In case you choose to delay your unpacking, marking boxes will help you get to the items you need right away.
- Use specialized packing tape to seal your boxes. Avoid Scotch tape for packing boxes to make sure your boxes remain sealed.
- Keep prescription pills with you in the event you need to take them during your move and before you unpack.
- Get rid of or donate your perishable items. Hiring a moving company means items from your fridge and freezer cannot go. You may also want to find new homes for your plants because those are also considered perishable.
- Take care of packing and moving important papers and documents yourself, especially if you have a long distance move.
- Keep all entry ways open to ensure movers can enter and exit your home safely and without damaging your property.